Comprehensive swallowing assessment and treatment will be performed by our experienced speech therapists at the convenience of our clients in their home.
Dysphagia refers to swallowing and/or feeding difficulties which affects the safety of food/fluids to travel from mouth to the stomach.
Dysphagia may be caused by the following common causes:-
- Neurodegenerative disease (Parkinson Disease, multiple sclerosis etc)
- Head and neck cancer
- Normal aging
- Other medical conditions that may affect any part of the swallowing mechanism
Dysphagia if left untreated can lead to medical complications such as chest infection (aspiration pneumonia), dehydration, malnutrition & even death.
Dysphagia has also been associated with poor quality of life, anxiety and depression.
Comprehensive swallowing assessment will be performed by our experienced speech therapists at the convenience of our clients in their home.
After the initial assessment, we will be able to understand the swallowing difficulties and this will allow us to make appropriate recommendations as below:
- feeding recommendation (oral or non-oral)
- oral feeding: diet or fluid modification.
- non-oral feeding: Tube feeding (NGT / PEG)
- caregiver trainings on:
- understanding of the swallowing difficulties.
- management plans (i.e. the need to be seen by other specialists or healthcare professionals)
- training on how to prepare modified diet / fluids.
- how to reduce the risks of chest infections.
- the need for further instrumental swallowing assessment (i.e. VFS / FEES)
Instrumental swallowing assessment
- Videofluoroscopy (VFS)
VFS (also known as modified barium swallow) is a moving x-ray examination of swallowing. During the examination, patient will be asked to chew and/or swallow food/liquids of different texture or consistencies. The videos obtained will allow detailed analysis of the swallowing functions for better treatment and management planning.
- Fiberoptic Endoscopic Evaluation for Swallowing (FEES)
FEES is a swallowing examination performed through the use of a small flexible telescope inserted through the nose by a trained speech therapist or an ENT specialist. During the examination, patient will be asked to chew and/or swallow food/liquids of different texture or consistencies. The videos obtained will allow detailed analysis of the swallowing functions for better treatment and management planning.
Treatment will be specific in targeting the underlying cause/s of the swallowing problem to optimize recovery. Our treatment will include innovative approaches and new technologies such as:-
- Specific swallowing exercises/approaches targeting specific swallowing problems
- Computerized swallowing therapy (sEMG Biofeedback Assisted Therapy)
- VitalStim Therapy
- Prosthetic management