JurongHealth Speech Therapy department will be organising a 2 day workshop next year entitled ‘Best Practices in the Management of Oropharyngeal Dysphagia’. The workshop will be conducted by Dr. Catriona Steele and will be held on 20 – 21 May, 2016 at Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, Singapore.
About the speaker:
Dr. Catriona M. Steele is a clinician scientist working in the area of swallowing and swallowing disorders. She has a background as a medical speech-language pathologist, and is Director of the Swallowing Rehabilitation Research Laboratory at the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute – University Health Network. Dr. Steele is a Professor in the Department of Speech-Language Pathology at the University of Toronto and is in demand as a teacher and workshop instructor around the world. Dr. Steele holds research funding from the National Institutes of Health (USA) and has more than 100 peer-reviewed publications.
Brief outline of workshop
> Best Practices in the Identification and Assessment of Oropharyngeal Dysphagia
– Sensitivity and specificity of different dysphagia screening tools
– Purpose, protocols and important technical considerations of videofluoroscopy
– Using information from research to quantify observations during a clinical bedside swallowing assessment
> Management and Rehabilitation of Oropharyngeal Dysphagia
– Evidence behind texture modification and postural approaches
– Direct and indirect swallowing/exercise approaches including the use of IOPI and sEMG biofeedback
– Other approaches in the literature: respiratory interventions, electrical stimulation, vibratory stimulation
Estimated cost: $400 – $500 per participant for the full workshop.
Registration Correspondent: Ms Wong Wan Xin
Wong Wan Xin| Speech Therapist, Rehabilitation | Ng Teng Fong General Hospital & Jurong Community Hospital | Jurong Health Services
1 Jurong East Street 21, Singapore 609606 | T: (65) 67161674 | E: Wan_Xin_Wong@juronghealth.com.sg